Monday, May 5, 2008

Fuck It

Fuck it, it's my attitude. Has been for the last few years now. I just can't stand up to the insurmountable amount of bullshit and ignorance. This is my little experiment. Will it fail? Of course it won't. Maybe. Okay, it will probably be a total failure. But does anyone really care? Surely not Bill O'Reilly or my personal hero Rush Limpdick... Limbaugh. I certainly care. I cared enough to do something crazy like join the ACLU. I haven't gotten it tattooed on my dick yet, but progress pending.

I'll give you a short biography oh who I am, where this coming from, and just how much I am going to offend you. I grew up with a limited mindset, truly conservative if you will. It was not my parents fault, it would be fun to blame them, but they are truly great human beings. If I ever turn out to be a decent human being they get all the credit. And my fiancé, but she can be a bitch. No. I truly believed that homosexuality was an abomination. I was "straight-edge" (i.e. pussy). Sex before marriage? Never. The whole line of conservative ideological belief was my own. Then somewhere along the way I got a clue and grew the fuck up.

I used to be moderate. Then I became a completely unapologetic liberal. I've been told I can be polarizing. I believe the definition of that word is, "you mean I'm right and don't want to admit it." It also mean I can be an asshole, or am one, depending on who you are. This I know. For your future sake, I apologize.

There are many reasons why, but mainly I'm just pissed off. I've grown and learned to hone that anger. At the end of the day, I think I'm most angered by the fact that "liberal" is a dirty word. I'm proud to be a liberal. I think more liberals need to be proud of their political philosophy and heritage, rather than shy away from the term. I seek a journey of definition and compelling reasons to turn sinistro. I hope through this journey however short, criticisms abound, my writing improves, and so do my political beliefs.

With a final thought, Eric Alterman writes in his new book Why We're Liberals, "As the party of 'militant liberalism' FDR declared, Democrats would deploy the U.S. government to 'protect its people against once considered inevitable, to solve problems once considered unsolvable.'" In short, Adidas stole the "Impossible is nothing" notion from liberals.

Sapere Aude!

No comments: